Saturday, September 28, 2013

What is the ND&AC On30 model Railroad?

The ND&AC Railroad is a culmination of many years of vision, changing vision, building up, tearing down, second guessing, over thinking, impatience, and just having fun. If you are a model railroader, you know what I mean. Like all empires, the ND&AC is always looking to expand its borders, and is never satisfied with the status quo. The current empire is On30 scale; is located in approximately 385 square feet of climate controlled space; construction was started in 2004 and is still evolving. I am also actively involved in the Northern California Narrow Gaugers Module Club.
Frenda Mine, located on one of my 30"x48" modules that I include in the Northern California Narrow Gaugers module club layout.
My home layout consists of a city scene and wharf area, mountain towns, a mine area, and logging camp. However, I have run out of room to model new ideas unless I rip out existing scenes. What to do, what to do?

Then the light bulb went off and I found more space below the main layout. I am currently (circa Fall 2013) expanding the indoor layout to include a complete logging line that is located in the space below the main layout. This new backwoods railroad (located on an island) will consist of a fishing port area, saw mill and log dump area, engine service facility, main loggers camp, "out in the woods" scenery, another out in the woods logging camp, and a log yarding area. this new layout allows me to build those models I have always wanted but could not make space for on the main layout short of ripping out other scenes.

Saw mill to be located in a corner area

Loggers awaiting the first dinner bell in the main camp.

Loggers waiting their turn at the shower house before a night on the town.
I will post more when I find the time, or follow along with some other of my postings on the On30 Line section of the Railroad Lines Forum.

1 comment:

  1. Scott-

    I have been amazed at the quality and quantity of your work ever since you showed up on the Railroad-Line Forums. Great to see you are starting a blog, and looking forward to regular updates.

    Mark Chase
    Richmond VA
    www.eastblueridge.com

    ReplyDelete